Sunday 7 November 2010

Authentic Audience

Reading the online guardian.co.uk a few days back, a headline caught my attention "Class blogs: a better way to teach" by Judy Friedberg. I was amazed to find a reference and link to my own class blog here, "Here's a class in New Zealand making short films about how earthquakes happen."

Aside from being flattered, it made me realize a few things. Firstly if my class blog is an example then I must be using blogs in an appropriate 21st century way. This is thanks to all my PLN's class blogs that I follow who inspire and encourage me. Secondly, teachers also have a need for an authentic audience, we also get engaged and excited when our work is recognised and commented on.

Judy interviews a classroom teacher who blogs, he says, "It gives them pride in their work, acknowledgement of their worth, and some understanding that there is a big wide world out there and people are listening to them." It certainly does, and it applies to teachers too. While on the subject of empowering kids to blog by commenting on their blogs, visit http://comments4kids.blogspot.com and find out how you can make a difference.

No comments: