Thursday 9 October 2008

The Future of Reading - Using Video Games as Bait to Hook Readers - Series - NYTimes.com

I found this article while reading this excellent educator blog, weblogg-ed by Will Richardson.

The main idea I got from "Using Video Games as Bait to Hook Readers" was that we can engage children in reading by providing contextual opportunities. We need to think outside the square when we consider what is appropriate literature. I do 90% of my reading on a computer monitor or mobile phone, I imagine our children will do the same and much more.

I consider my role as a teacher in this scenario would be to guide reading and inquiry learning through a WebQuest or other online learning environment. We all love reading about what we love.

I believe Barton and Hamilton (1998) description of literacy offers an insight to this article. Cited in Literacies Across Media.

Literacy is primarily something people do; it is an activity, located in the space between thought and text. Literacy does not just reside in people's heads as a set of skills to be learned, and it does not just reside on paper, captured as texts to be analysed. Like all human activity, literacy is essentially social, and it is located in the interaction between people.
Mackey, M. (2002). Literacies across media. Playing the text. RoutledgeFalmer: London.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Shaun!

    An interesting take on literacy. I have come across this concept before - fascinating stuff.

    I've also had a bit of a discussion about why some of us write. There's a lot to this.

    Ka kite

    ReplyDelete