Wednesday 15 October 2008

Poverty Action Day

Poverty is a worldwide social issue but as a beginning teacher I have decided to reflect on what this means for me in New Zealand. Having taught at schools where children come to school hungry, I have felt a sense of helplessness when thinking about what I can I do to help. It's easy to think of the big ideals, education is the solution to poverty. Yet that is no immediate solution for me or for the child sitting in your class each day. We give children breakfasts and attempt to deal with the social issues often accompanying poverty, but there is only so much we can do as teachers outside the classroom. What we can do however is provide safe learning environments and show that we care.

I would like to know how other primary school teachers deal with poverty in their school communities.

No comments: