Friday 10 October 2008

Seven Elements of Digital Stories

This week I read a resource "Learning Journeys with ICT: Digital Storytelling - Narratives for the millennium" by Angie Simmons. Having explored my first digital story a few weeks back, I was eager to learn more. I was pleased to find an adaptation of "The seven elements of an effective digital stories' from the Center for Digital Storytelling. I found it to be a good scaffold for my own learning. I reflected on these seven elements in my first digital story and decided to apply these elements to the story again, and see what happens.




I am very happy with the result, my growth is evident. It was not without problems but that's the fun in learning, I learnt to 'envelope' tracks in Audacity. Can you tell the difference this scaffold has made?

The seven elements of an effective digital stories:
  1. A point of view
  2. A dramatic question
  3. Emotional content
  4. Economy
  5. Pace
  6. Concise narration
  7. Effective soundtrack

Ref: Simmons, A. (2006). Learning journeys with ICT: Digital storytelling - Narratives for the millennium. Essential Resources Educational Publishers Limited: Invercargill.

No comments: