Tuesday 27 January 2009

Comprehension Strategies

A major focus for my school this year is reading comprehension, and thanks to Mathew Needleman's blog I found a handy page of comprehension strategies that lists the strategies along with the definitions, and has a cloze type sentence to guide teachers and students in using the strategies. I think it would be handy to laminate and use as a scaffold when talking comprehension during reading and will make teachers and students more aware of what strategy they are using and why. For this purpose Open Court Resources also provide a bookmarks and posters for your class along with a range of other comprehension resources.

Do you have any reading comprehension teaching ideas to share?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shaun.
    A while ago I came across this fantastic site for working on reading:http://reading.ecb.org/index.html
    It made me wish I taught kids!
    I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
    Always interesting stuff on your blog!

    ReplyDelete