Sunday 18 January 2009

A Sharing Attitude

I recently wrote a comment to my Flickr rat photo group saying that I was disappointed by how many people are not willing to share the use of their photos with the world. This as you know is a real pain for teachers and students trying to do the right thing. I would feel proud if someone choose to use my photo in their blog (with attribution of course). Too me it says they thought my photo was a great image, worthy of spreading a message. Plus it will attract a greater audience to my photo album.

Come on we are all exhibitionists here, we like our photos being appreciated. I believe the main problem is that most people aren't aware that when they upload photos the automatic
copyright settings for their photos is All Rights Reserved , meaning no one can use it, create with it and spread the joy!

In Flickr go to Your Account -then click the Privacy & Permissions tab - look for "What license will your content have". You can change your settings to a variety of different Creative Commons copyrights that protect your ownership but give sharing rights according to your need.

So as a teacher and amateur photographer I ask you to consider using Creative Commons copyrights on your photo's and share a part of your world with the rest of the world. Imagine if that was an attitude everyone had?

Just after writing this blog I found this brilliant video on copyright law, using Disney characters, thanks to The Clever Sheep blog.


Image found with Creative Commons Search from Flickr, kindly shared by
ryancr

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Shaun

    Copyright is a strange thing. When we ask why it's there, the answer seems to be part to do with recognition part to do with earnings or 'royalty'.

    The idea of royalty was founded in good faith. It was to ensure the creator got some credit, as it were, and for some like the musicians recording their music, it was a real income.

    For others it is simply to do with the attitude, 'hey that's mine, and you should give me the credit if you want to use it.' Usually with copyright (as with patents etc) there's a whole raft of legalities to do with when the item (photo etc) was made compared to when it is used by someone else.

    For most it makes not a pennyworth of difference. BUT . . . if some big company pounces on Shaun Woods' great photo and claims it as their logo, and it gets established as their logo, then poor Shaun gets no credit unless he fights for it. Unfortunately he'd have to also prove that it was his. Most people can't be bothered with that, for it's extremely costly to finance a lawsuit.

    My hunch is that, in time, it'll all be the same as patents. In otherwords, unless you've registered your photo/image/pic as yours, anyone can use it. I don't think photographers and artists will be too pleased though.

    Catchya

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, I am very sharing with my work but I do like to be credited.

    I think your hunch is right but we must move with the times.

    ReplyDelete